Russia’s Foreign Ministry has urged foreign countries to evacuate their diplomats from Kyiv ahead of May 9, warning of potential retaliatory strikes if Moscow’s Victory Day commemorations are disrupted. The Kremlin has threatened to launch massive missile attacks on Kyiv if Ukraine targets Russia during its Victory Day parade in Red Square .
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has accused Russia of violating Ukraine’s unilateral ceasefire and warned that Kyiv may respond in kind during Moscow’s Victory Day parade. Zelenskyy stated that Ukraine would decide its course of action based on Russian attacks, emphasizing that Moscow’s actions demonstrate a rejection of peace . On May 6, Russia launched over 110 drones and missiles across Ukraine, including an attack on a kindergarten in Sumy, which killed two people. Zelenskyy condemned the strikes as evidence that Russia prioritizes military parades over diplomacy, while Ukrainian forces retaliated by targeting a Russian weapons factory in a central region using long-range missiles .
Russia has reinforced air defenses around Moscow by relocating systems from other regions, creating vulnerabilities elsewhere in Russian territory, according to Zelenskyy. Ukrainian intelligence reports indicate that over 40 additional *Pantsir-S1* air defense systems have been deployed around Moscow, including elevated towers near key infrastructure, ahead of Victory Day. Zelenskyy noted that this buildup exposes other Russian regions to potential Ukrainian long-range strikes and reflects Moscow’s focus on protecting its parade rather than broader security . Earlier in the week, a Ukrainian drone struck a luxury high-rise near the Kremlin, evading Moscow’s air defenses, which was seen as a significant failure .
> Background: **Ceasefire Announcements Fail to Halt Deadly Strikes in Ukraine Conflict** — *1 days ago*
More LFE coverage on this topic

Ukraine war briefing: Putin threat to foreign embassies in Kyiv Russia vows retaliatory strikes if Moscow parade if attacked – despite Ukraine offering truce; departing Orbán surrenders Ukrainian cash and gold. What we know on day 1,534 Continue reading...
theguardian · 14 days ago

Russias Foreign Ministry urges countries to evacuate diplomats from Kyiv ahead of May 9, warns of retaliatory strike
telegram bot · 14 days ago
Russia warns foreign diplomats they should leave Kyiv ahead of possible strikes Moscow says it will launch retaliatory strikes on Ukraines capital if its Victory Day commemorations are disrupted.
le monde · 14 days ago

Russia warns foreign diplomats to leave Kyiv in case of strike Russia warned foreign diplomats in Kyiv on Wednesday to evacuate the city ahead of Moscows World War II Victory Day celebrations, threatening retaliatory strikes if Ukraine disrupts commemorations tied to the May 9 military parade in Red Square.
france24 · 14 days ago

Russia Warns Kyiv-Based Diplomats Of Massive Attack If Ukraine Disrupts May 9 Ceremonies Russia warned Kyiv-based diplomats and representatives of international organizations to prepare to evacuate the Ukrainian capital, saying its forces would launch a massive missile attack against the city if Ukraine disrupted its May 9 World War II commemorations.
radio free europe · 14 days ago

Russia tells diplomats to leave Kyiv in case Moscow launches mass strikes Moscow threatens retaliatory strikes if Ukraine attacks Russia during Victory Day commemorations.
aljazeera · 14 days ago

Zelensky says Russia is violating Ukraines unilateral ceasefire and warns Kyiv may respond in kind during Moscow parade
telegram bot · 14 days ago

Ukraine will respond in kind, Zelenskyy says after Russia breaks Kyivs ceasefire Ukraine will decide its course of action towards Russias Victory Day parade depending on the situation tonight and tomorrow, Zelenskyy said, sending a warning to Moscow that Kyiv will will respond in kind to Russian attacks.
euronews · 14 days ago

Russian Drone Hits Ukrainian Kindergarten; Kyiv Accuses Moscow Of Flouting Cease-Fire A Russian drone hit a kindergarten in northern Ukraine, and Moscow launched scores of drones and missiles across the country, as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy accused Russia of ignoring a Kyiv-proposed cease-fire. The new attacks on May 6 came a day after a wider barrage on several Ukrainian cities – Dnipro, Zaporizhzhya, Kramatorsk – that killed more than two dozen people. For its part, Ukraine targeted a Russian weapons factory in a central region located more than 1,200 kilometers the border, using its homegrown long-range cruise missile, known as the Flamingo. The scope of the damage at the VNIIR-Progress plant – which makes navigational systems for missiles – was unclear; local authorities said two people died in the attack, which also included Ukrainian drones. Zelenskyy had proposed a cease-fire, beginning at midnight May 6, as a counterproposal to President Vladimir Putin, who announced a cease-fire for May 8 and 9, coinciding with Victory Day. The Kremlin did not respond publicly to Zelenskyys proposal. The holiday, commemorating the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War II, has become a celebration of Soviet, and Russian, military might. This year, however, the annual Red Square parade has been scaled back, amid fears of Ukrainian drones targeting the events. A small handful of foreign dignitaries will be present, and there will be column of military weaponry or vehicles as usual. Two people were killed at a kindergarten building in Sumy, in northern Ukraine, when the building was hit by a Russian drone, officials said. There were no children in the school at the time. In total, Russia launched more than 110 drones and cruise and ballistic missiles at Ukrainian targets across the country, Ukrainian officials said. This shows that Russia rejects peace and its fake calls for a cease-fire on May 9th have nothing to do with diplomacy, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha said in a post to X. Putin only cares about military parades, not human lives. In a statement to Telegram, Zelenskyy said that officials would decide on further actions in response to the Russian attacks. Earlier this week, a drone believed to be Ukraine hit a luxury high-rise skyscraper just a few kilometers from the Kremlin. The drone caused no injuries, but the fact that it was evaded numerous anti-aircraft defenses around the Russian capital was seen as a failure.
radio free europe · 14 days ago

Putin Fortifies Moscow Defense Dome but Exposes New Targets Across Russian Territory, Zelenskyy Says Russia is reinforcing air defense rings around Moscow by relocating systems from across its regions, creating new opportunities for Ukrainian long-range strikes, Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated on May 6.The Ukrainian president addressed the development in an evening statement following a report from the head of military intelligence, Oleh Ivashchenko. The briefing covered Russian plans for the temporarily occupied Ukrainian territory and updated estimates of damage caused by Ukrainian deep strikes.Russian leadership is not preparing for the ceasefire about which so many statements were made, and worries more about its parade in Moscow than about all the rest of Russia, Zelenskyy stated, pointing to the redeployment.The president instructed HUR to draw up separate tasks focused on the Russian air defense network. He added that the buildup around the capital opens additional possibilities for Ukrainian long-range operations and that corresponding priorities will be defined.Read moreWar in UkraineFearing Ukrainian Drones, Russia Floods Moscow With Air Defenses Ahead Of Victory Day May 03, 2026 15:02 Zelenskyy also referenced internal Russian assessments showing that direct losses and disruptions to production and export processes are mounting under Ukrainian strikes. The impact on regional budgets is particularly severe, he noted, with the effective bankruptcy of a significant share of them impossible to conceal. He reiterated that Ukraine has repeatedly proposed a ceasefire to build the trust required for substantive diplomacy and thanked partners for backing a mirrored approach toward Moscow.The assessment from Ukrainian intelligence also coincides with separate reporting on a major air defense buildup around Moscow, as Russia has recently expanded its air defense network around Moscow with more than 40 additional Pantsir-S1 systems, amid growing concern over possible Ukrainian drone strikes on the capital. Bild reported that satellite imagery identified 43 new air defense tower positions around Moscow, including sites along the Central Ring Road and nearby highways.The systems are reportedly being placed on elevated towers to improve their ability to detect and intercept low-flying drones. Some Pantsir-S1 units were moved from other Russian regions, while additional launch sites appeared near Domodedovo and Zhukovsky airports.The buildup comes ahead of May 9 events in Moscow, when Russian authorities traditionally stage Victory Day commemorations and a military parade. Related articles Internet Blackout Hits Moscow as Victory Day Air Parade Rehearsals Begin Latest news May 05, 2025 13:44 They Fear Drones Over Red Square: Zelenskyy on Russias May 9 Victory Day Parade War in Ukraine May 04, 2026 13:26 Russia to Reportedly Hold Largest Victory Day Parade Since Its Full-Scale Invasion of Ukraine Latest news May 07, 2025 15:45
united24media · 14 days ago

Russian drone hits kindergarten in Ukraine A Russian drone strike has hit a kindergarten in Ukraines Sumy region.
aljazeera · 15 days ago

Have Russian claims of Ukraine attack on Putin home ended hopes for peace? Ukrainian President Zelenskyy denies that Kyiv attacked the Novgorod residence of Russian President Putin.
aljazeera · 5 months ago

Kyiv says no plausible evidence for Putin residence drone attack Ukraine said on Tuesday said there was no evidence that it had launched a drone attack on one of President Vladimir Putins homes, located in Russias Novgorod region. The Kremlin said on Monday it would toughen its stance in negotiations to end the war in Ukraine due to a terrorist attack on the residence.
france24 · 5 months ago

Did Ukraine target Putins residence or is Russian claim a ploy to sway Trump? Ukraine has denied the claim and accused Russia of trying to undermine diplomatic progress – so who believes what?Russia-Ukraine war – latest news updatesRussia alleges Ukraine tried to hit Vladimir Putins residence in a mass drone attack on Monday. The foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, said Russian air defences shot down 91 drones and he called the attack an act of state terrorism.Ukraine has denied the claim and Volodymyr Zelenskyy accused Lavrov of spreading typical Russian lies to try to undermine diplomatic progress between Kyiv and Washington after a bilateral meeting with Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago in Florida on Sunday. Continue reading...
theguardian · 5 months ago

No Such Attack Happened: Ukraines MFA Calls Out Russias Fabricated Attack on Putins Residence Ukraines Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha has denied Russian accusations of a Ukrainian drone strike on Russian leader Vladimir Putins residence in Valdai, calling the claims baseless and unsupported by evidence.In a statement published on his official social media account on December 30, Sybiha said, Almost a day passed and Russia still hasnt provided any plausible evidence to its accusations of Ukraines alleged attack on Putins residence. And they wont. Because theres none. No such attack happened.His remarks follow statements from Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who on December 29 accused Ukraine of launching 91 drones against Putins residence in the Novgorod region and warned of possible retaliatory strikes.According to Sybiha, international reactions to the alleged incident were premature and lacked balance. We were disappointed and concerned to see the statements by Emirati, Indian, and Pakistani sides expressing their concerns regarding the attack that never happened, he said. Read moreLatest newsPutin Alleges Drone Strike—Trump Says It Could Be Fake, US Congressman Calls Him a Boldface Liar Dec 30, 2025 10:42 He added that these governments had not issued similar statements in response to real incidents — specifically referencing the September 7, 2025 missile strike on a Ukrainian government building by Russian forces.Sybiha further warned that such reactions to Russias baseless manipulative claims only play into Russian propaganda and encourage Moscow for more atrocities and lies.He urged all states to act responsibly and refrain from responding to unverified claims, emphasizing that uncritical responses could undermine the constructive peace process that has been advancing lately.Earlier, Ukraines President Volodymyr Zelenskyy also dismissed Russias latest statements as another lie, warning that the narrative may serve as pretext for further missile attacks on Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities.The claims surrounding the alleged drone strike on Putins residence have not been independently verified, and Russian authorities have not presented any satellite imagery, video evidence, or eyewitness testimony to substantiate their version of events. Related articles US Treasury Chief Calls Russian Envoy a Propagandist, Says Sanctions Are Crippling Moscows Economy Latest news Oct 27, 2025 10:45 US Treasury Chief: Putin Was Never Negotiating in Good Faith—Thats Why We Hit Russia With Massive Sanctions Latest news Oct 23, 2025 10:13 Trump: We Get a Lot of Bullshit Thrown at Us by Putin Latest news Jul 08, 2025 20:19
united24media · 5 months ago

Ukraine denies drone attack on Putins residence Russia has accused Ukraine of targeting a presidential residence, which President Zelensky called typical Russian lies.
bbc · 5 months ago

Ukraine war live: Russia gives no plausible evidence to back up claim of drone attack on Putins residence Ukraines foreign minister Andrii Sybiha responds to claims by Moscow of a strike on home in Russias Novgorod regionRussia said yesterday it would review its position in peace negotiations after the alleged Ukrainian drone attack.Earlier that day, Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that the US had offered Ukraine a 15-year security guarantee (even though he wanted guarantees for up to 50 years).The Kremlins latest bellicose threat appeared to be part of a KGB-style informational campaign directed at Russians and an impressionable White House. The Russian presidential adviser Yuri Ushakov claimed Putin briefed Trump about the alleged attack when they spoke on Monday.Trump was shocked at the news, Ushakov claimed, with Russian officials alleging that Britain was also involved in what he described as provocations. Continue reading...
theguardian · 5 months ago

Ukraine denies alleged strikes on Vladimir Putins residence in the midst of peace talks Russia accused Ukraine of launching a drone attack on Vladimir Putins residence, vowing to respond and warning it would toughen its position on a possible peace deal. Vladimir Putin also told Russian army commanders to press on with their offensive in Zaporizhzhia. Ukraine has denied the accusations and said the reports would undermine the peace process, with current talks stuck over several issues, especially territorial.
france24 · 5 months ago

Live: Trump very angry about alleged Ukrainian attack on Putins home US President Donald Trump said he was very angry to hear from Russian President Vladimir Putin that Ukraine had tried to attack his residence in northern Russia on Monday. Moscow provided no evidence for claims that Ukraine dismissed as baseless and aimed at derailing arduous peace talks. Russias foreign minister referred to the attack as state terrorism and said Russia would review its negotiating stance but not quit the negotiations. Follow our liveblog for updates.
france24 · 5 months ago

Ukraine-Russia war latest: Trump says he was very angry over claims Putins residence was attacked by drones Kyiv hit back at claim that Putins Valdai residence was targeted by 91 drones
independent · 5 months ago

Kyiv rejects Russias claim of Ukrainian attack on Putin residence The Ukrainian president rejects Moscows claim that Ukrainian forces launched a drone attack on Novgorod.
aljazeera · 5 months ago

Peace hopes dented as Russia says Ukraine tried to attack Putin residence Russia accused Ukraine on Monday of trying to attack President Vladimir Putins residence in northern Russia, although it provided no evidence to back up an assertion that Kyiv…
japantoday · 5 months ago

Russia Threatens to Toughen Its Stance on Ending the War in Ukraine Moscow said a Ukrainian drone attack targeted a residence of President Vladimir V. Putin, which Ukraine denied, accusing the Kremlin of fabricating an excuse not to make peace.
new york times · 5 months ago

Russia is trying to stop meeting on peace and prolong war, Zelensky says Volodymyr Zelensky urges Western allies to impose fresh sanctions on Moscow if it shows no interest in peace.
bbc · 9 months ago

Ukraine-Russia war latest: Zelensky accuses Kremlin of doing everything to stop Putin meeting in blow to Trump Russias foreign minister Sergei Lavrov cast doubt on a meeting between the two leaders proposed by the US president
independent · 9 months ago

Putin not ready to meet Zelensky until agenda agreed, says Russias foreign minister Lavrov Ukraines president says Moscow is doing everything to stop summit with Putin
independent · 9 months ago

Trump plans Putin-Zelensky peace summit after talks in Washington Russian President Vladimir Putin Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky look set for a peace summit after fast-moving talks on Monday 18 August between Donald Trump and European leaders that focused on the key issue of long-term security guarantees for Kyiv. Hopes of a breakthrough rose after Trump said he had spoken by phone with Russian counterpart Putin, whom he met in Alaska last week, following a very good meeting with the Europeans and the Ukrainian president at the White House on Monday.
commonspace · 9 months ago

Putin is not ready to meet Zelensky for talks, says Lavrov in blow to Trump Russias foreign minister said an agenda for a potential summit between the two leaders was not ready at all
independent · 9 months ago

Russia rejects Zelensky meeting as diplomatic tension simmers Russia on Friday ruled out an immediate meeting with Volodymyr Zelensky, as diplomatic tension escalated with the Ukrainian president and US mediation efforts appeared to stumble. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said no meeting between Vladimir Putin and Zelensky was planned, as Nato chief Mark Rutte visited Kyiv, largely to discuss security guarantees for Ukraine. US President Donald Trump raised expectations for a swift summit between the Russian and Ukrainian presidents by saying...
south china morning post · 9 months ago

Russias Lavrov says agenda not ready at all for Putin-Zelenskyy summit Russias top diplomat Sergey Lavrov accuses Ukrainian President Zelenskyy of saying no to everything.
aljazeera · 9 months ago