
Two-time Tour de France winner Jonas Vingegaard will not compete for the remainder of the 2026 season as he recovers from a broken collarbone sustained in a crash during this year’s Tour, his team Visma-Lease a Bike announced on Monday.
The 29-year-old Dane fractured his collarbone on Stage 15 of the Tour de France after his front wheel slid out on a tight right-hand bend off a roundabout, forcing him to abandon the race while in second place overall. The injury required surgery and ended his bid for a third Tour victory, with Tadej Pogačar going on to win the yellow jersey.
Vingegaard will also miss the UCI Road World Championships in Montreal, Canada, scheduled for Sept. 20–27. “After a long and intense racing period, a recovery period was planned after the Tour de France anyway,” Vingegaard said in a statement. “Due to the collarbone injury, the start of my training has been delayed and it is not possible for me to get back to top level in the coming period.”
Marc Reef, Visma-Lease a Bike’s head of racing, said the decision followed a review of the season’s remaining schedule. “After a busy period with many days of racing and the collarbone fracture Jonas sustained in the Tour de France, it is best for him to focus on 2027,” Reef said. The team and Vingegaard will discuss training plans and goals for next season in the coming weeks.
Before his crash, Vingegaard had dominated the 2026 season, winning Paris-Nice, the Volta a Catalunya, and the Giro d’Italia. His Giro victory made him the eighth male rider to win all three Grand Tours—the Tour de France, Giro d’Italia, and Vuelta a España—according to the team’s announcement.
Vingegaard had previously considered retiring after the 2025 season, telling interviewers he was unhappy that year before making changes with his team. His 2026 campaign marked a resurgence, with victories in three major stage races before the Tour de France setback.
Follow us for live European news
1 further source not geolocated