Pentagon fires Stars and Stripes editor, publisher and reporter for insubordination

The U.S. Department of Defense fired the editor-in-chief, publisher, and a reporter of *Stars and Stripes* on Friday, citing insubordination, according to the newspaper and the affected staff.
Editor-in-chief Erik Slavin confirmed his dismissal in statements to multiple outlets, including CBS News and the Associated Press. Slavin said he was terminated after declaring in a July CBS interview that censorship would be a “personal red line” and that he could not continue in his role if the Pentagon attempted to dictate content. “Publish this absolutely correct report instead of this one here, written by the Pentagon. That would be a red line,” he told CBS.
Publisher Max D. Lederer Jr., who had announced his retirement earlier in the week, was also notified of his dismissal. Lederer stated his decision to step down stemmed from fundamental differences between his leadership philosophy and the Pentagon’s plans for the paper. Nahost correspondent Lara Korte, based in Germany, was fired as well. On X, she wrote that the Defense Department dismissed her for insubordination after she told a CBS reporter, “I work for *Stars and Stripes*—not for the Pentagon, not for any government, not for any politicians.”
*Stars and Stripes*, a military-focused publication partially funded by the Defense Department, has traditionally operated with editorial independence. It serves a primary audience of U.S. service members and reaches up to 1.4 million people across its digital platforms, with its European editorial hub in Kaiserslautern, Germany, near Ramstein Air Base.
The Pentagon did not immediately respond to requests for comment from multiple news organizations, including the Deutsche Presse-Agentur. The dismissals follow recent tensions between the paper’s leadership and the Defense Department, including the Pentagon’s assignment of an officer as a deputy to the publisher earlier this year.
The newspaper has covered U.S. military operations abroad, including the Iran War, and has a longstanding reputation for independent reporting despite its government funding. In 2020, then-President Donald Trump reversed a Pentagon decision to shut down the publication entirely.
Follow us for live European news
- 3
- 2
- 2
- 2
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
4 further sources not geolocated







