Second Ukrainian suspect arrested in Croatia over 2022 Nord Stream pipeline sabotage

German prosecutors announced on Wednesday the arrest of a second Ukrainian suspect in the 2022 Nord Stream pipeline sabotage, identified as Vladimir Z., in the Croatian coastal city of Pula. Local police detained him under a European arrest warrant, and he will be extradited to Germany to face charges, including jointly causing an explosion, anti-constitutional sabotage, and destruction of buildings.
The federal prosecutor’s office in Karlsruhe alleged that Vladimir Z., a trained scuba diver, participated in dives to plant explosives on the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines near Denmark’s Bornholm island. He is accused of being part of a group led by Serhii K., a former Ukrainian army officer charged in July with orchestrating the blasts on behalf of Ukrainian state entities. Serhii K. was arrested in Italy in August 2025 and transferred to Germany in November; he has denied involvement.
German Justice Ministry spokesman Nicholas Limmer said the government welcomed the progress, stating, “We’re simply glad that the federal prosecutor’s office is making progress in these investigations, because it’s important that the bombing of the pipelines be clarified as well” .
The explosions in September 2022 damaged both pipelines, halting gas flows. Nord Stream 1 had previously supplied Russian gas to Europe, while Nord Stream 2 was not yet operational. Investigators believe the suspects used a sailboat, the *Andromeda*, rented from a German company with falsified documents, to transport explosives. The group allegedly included a ship’s captain, a explosives expert, and four deep-sea divers who attached timed devices at depths of up to 80 meters.
Vladimir Z. was previously detained in Poland in autumn 2025 but was released after Polish authorities rejected Germany’s extradition request. German Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt said on Wednesday that the arrest “will certainly not be the last measure of this kind” and vowed to hold the perpetrators accountable .
Ukrainian authorities have stated they lack sufficient information to respond to the German allegations. A separate investigation by Ukraine’s Prosecutor General’s Office has not established Kyiv’s involvement. The first suspect, Serhii K., remains in German custody pending trial in Hamburg.
Follow us for live European news


