WHO warns Congo Ebola outbreak far from controlled as cases rise across six provinces

Story Timeline
8 days · 5 summary articles
The Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak has now infected 5,021 people and killed 2,378 since it was declared on May 15, according to the World Health Organization’s Africa regional office. The case fatality rate stands at 47.4%, with more than 1,000 patients reported as recovered by Congolese health authorities .
The outbreak, Congo’s 17th, is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the virus, for which no approved vaccine or treatment exists. Clinical trials of two antiviral therapies began in early July, and authorities are investigating whether the virus may have mutated .
Jean Kaseya, director of the Africa CDC, said the actual number of cases may be higher, as studies suggest the outbreak may have begun as early as February. “We have no idea what happened between February and May,” Kaseya stated, noting that all current data covers only the period since May. Nearly two-thirds of confirmed Ebola deaths occur outside hospitals or isolation wards, often in villages, increasing transmission risks through contact with bodily fluids .
The WHO’s emergency manager, Thierno Balde, said the outbreak could be contained within three months if sufficient resources are mobilized. The WHO has so far raised about 60% of the $115 million it seeks for the response .
The outbreak has spread across six provinces in eastern Congo, with Ituri among the hardest-hit areas. Trish Newport, emergency coordinator for Doctors Without Borders, emphasized the need for greater community engagement, stating, “People need to know what the signs and symptoms are and what to do if they get sick” .
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that the epidemic is “far from being controlled” and poses a “high risk of international spread.” The WHO currently assesses the public health risk as “very high” for Congo, “high” for neighboring Uganda and other bordering countries, and “low” for the rest of Africa and the world .
The European Commission announced it is purchasing rapid diagnostic tests worth €2.5 million to support the response . The U.N. has allocated an additional $30.5 million and deployed 20 more staff to assist in containment efforts .
Follow us for live European news




