Prince Harry and Meghan to return to UK with children enrolled in British schools

Story Timeline
1 day · 3 summary articles
Prince Harry and Meghan to return to UK with children enrolled in British schools
Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to UK by end of August, media report
ContinuationPrince Harry and Meghan to relocate to UK with children by end of August: reports
Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will return to the United Kingdom from California in the coming weeks, British media reported on Wednesday. Their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, have been enrolled in British schools to begin the autumn term, according to the Telegraph and Sun newspapers .
The couple will live in a private, nonroyal residence outside London and will not resume royal duties, which they relinquished when they moved to Montecito, California, six years ago. Their return follows King Charles III’s ongoing treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer discovered in 2024. Harry has previously expressed a desire for his children to know their grandfather, the 77-year-old monarch .
The decision marks a shift from Harry’s remarks last year, when he said he could not imagine bringing his family back to Britain . The couple’s relationship with the royal family remains strained, particularly with Prince William, the heir to the throne. Harry’s public complaints about mistreatment by Buckingham Palace staff, allegations of racism within the royal family, and criticisms of the monarchy have deepened the rift .
Craig Prescott, a constitutional expert at Royal Holloway University of London, told The Associated Press that the palace will need to manage the couple’s presence to avoid overshadowing the monarchy’s work. “They wouldn’t want Meghan and Harry’s presence in the U.K. here to overshadow the work of the monarchy, and there will have to be some discussion and allowance for that,” Prescott said .
The Sussexes’ return does not reverse the terms of their 2020 departure, known as Megxit. They will not have an official royal agenda, and their position within the royal hierarchy remains uncertain. Speculation about their new home has centered on the Cotswolds, possibly near Highgrove House, King Charles’s residence, though their press team has not confirmed the location .
Security arrangements for the family remain unresolved. The couple has previously sought British government funding for their protection while in the U.K., but courts have not ruled in their favor. Their legal battle with the Daily Mail over privacy and security concerns is ongoing, with Harry set to learn the costs of a failed lawsuit .
The couple’s media strategy appears to have shifted. Sources told The Telegraph that Harry and Meghan will avoid television interviews and refrain from discussing private details about other royal family members. They also plan to shield their children from public exposure, including withholding school locations and birthdays from the media .
Their return follows a period of mixed success in the U.S., where their production company, Archewell, secured deals with Netflix and Spotify worth up to $100 million and $25 million, respectively. However, collaborations with both platforms have since ended, and their entertainment ventures have faced challenges .
Follow us for live European news
- 4
- 2
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
3 further sources not geolocated


