Trump threatens "most crushing" economic measures against Iran as Middle East war enters sixth month

Story Timeline
10 days · 9 summary articles
President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday the launch of what he called “the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country,” targeting Iran as the U.S. escalates pressure on Tehran amid a six-month war in the Middle East.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump warned that “any country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face tremendous economic consequences.” He demanded an immediate halt to activities including “oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies” .
The announcement follows a shift in U.S. strategy after military strikes failed to force Iran back to negotiations. Pentagon advisers reportedly told Trump last month that the U.S. had nearly exhausted its list of targets in Iran and that the campaign had reached the limits of its effectiveness . Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said last week the U.S. would ramp up efforts to isolate Iran economically, building on Operation Economic Fury, a months-long sanctions push, and a naval blockade in the Strait of Hormuz .
Trump also signaled that talks with Iran could resume “maybe at some point,” while asserting U.S. control over the Strait of Hormuz . A bilateral ceasefire signed in June expired on Monday, and Trump stated, “No conversation or discussion is taking place or scheduled with the Islamic Republic of Iran” .
The United Arab Emirates announced it would suspend all trade and financial transactions with Iran after accusing Tehran of firing two ballistic missiles toward maritime navigation, which Iran denied . Iran’s armed forces chief, Gen. Ali Abdollahi, warned Gulf states that “any assistance or facility provided to the aggressor American army is equivalent to participation in U.S. military operations” .
Iranian state media dismissed Trump’s threats as “psychological warfare and propaganda,” noting his previous claims of Iran’s imminent collapse had not materialized . The conflict, which began nearly six months ago, has drawn in Gulf nations and disrupted global markets, with oil prices rising as Chinese tankers abandon the Strait of Hormuz .
Follow us for live European news
- 4
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
- 1
6 further sources not geolocated









